Derek Lang was appointed Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon to Withington Hospital in 1995, then UHSM, Wythenshawe after merger of the two hospitals. More recently the major Manchester hospitals have been unified into a single service under the title of the Manchester Foundation Trust
Prior to the amalgamation, He spent 7 years as Clinical Director of the Orthopaedic Unit at South Manchester.
He qualified from Manchester Medical School in 1982, became a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1987 and continued specialist training, entering specialist Orthopaedic practice in 1988 and passed the exit examination to gain entry onto the Specialist register in 1994, followed by appointment as a consultant to the University Hospital of South (Withington) in 1995
He has more than 15 years experience in private and NHS practice as a Consultant.
Qualifications: MB.ChB FRCS(Lon) FRCS(Orth)
His main clinical interests are:
Derek trained in Manchester before returning to Sheffield to do a research fellowship in distraction osteosynthesis. Thereafter, he continued his training on the prestigious North West Training Program, as well as getting experience in Europe and Australia before taking up his consultant post at South Manchester.
Derek's main interests are reconstruction of the damaged knee, including sports injuries, ligament reconstruction and trauma, as well as primary and revision hip and knee joint replacement for arthritis.
Derek worked alongside one of the top Australian Knee surgeons in Melbourne to acquire the experience that was not available in the UK at that time and has pulled together his experience from Australia and in many fields to offer a comprehensive approach to the painful knee; from paediatric injuries through the sportsman up to the elderly.
Derek has an extensive list of peer reviewed publications and international presentations and is actively engaged in research and training the next generation of surgeons.
Outside of work, Derek's main interests are skiing, guitar, salsa dancing, hill walking, sailing and computer software development (not necessarily in order of expertise!)
* Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, University Hospital, South Manchester
* Honorary Clinical Lecturer in Orthopaedics Manchester University
* Musculoskeletal Trauma
* Sporting injuries to the lower limb
* Arthroscopic Surgery of the knee
* Knee ligament reconstruction
* Primary Knee and Hip replacement
* British Medical Association
* British Orthopaedic Association
* British Association for Surgery of the Knee
* Bone/Limb Reconstruction Fellow, Children's Hospital Sheffield
* North West Orthopaedic Training Program
* Visiting Trauma Fellow, Munster, Germany
* Knee reconstruction fellow, Melbourne Australia
* Regular production of research papers on clinical areas of interest which have been presented nationally and internationally as well published in peer reviewed journals
Search the Website
Search the Website